A countdown to matrimony...
In order for everything to be perfect on the big day, you'll need to start planning about a year ahead. The following timetable helps you keep cool while keeping all the bases covered! Be sure to take notes every step of the way, get all agreements in writing, and allow some extra budget for unforeseen circumstances.
12 months before:
- See your Love Story® Jeweler and choose your diamond engagement ring.
- Buy a wedding planner or date book.
- Buy a copy of Brides or Modern Bride magazine; read the articles to familiarize yourself with wedding customs and particulars.
- Consult with fiancè and all parents about budget and style— from colors to cake.
- Select your attendants.
- Decide on wedding and reception sites and reserve both.
- Book consultant, caterer, photographer, videographer, florist and musicians.
9 months before:
- With fiancè, visit clergymember or justice of the peace.
- Choose and order dress and accessories.
- Register for gifts.
- Begin guest list; have fiancè start his.
- Consult travel agent about honeymoon.
6 months before:
- Plan details with wedding professionals.
- Book calligrapher, portrait photographer, and limousines for wedding party.
- Order invitations and announcements.
- Complete honeymoon plans with fiancè.
- Set date to order attendants dresses.
- Discuss rehearsal dinner with fiancè.
3 months before:
- See your Love Story® Jeweler and choose your wedding bands and have inside of bands engraved with initials and wedding date.
- Finish guest list.
- Shop for lingerie and honeymoon clothes.
- Order wedding rings.
- Check state requirements for blood tests.
- Make appointment with hairdresser.
- Talk to fiancè about reserving a block of rooms for out-of-town guests.
6-8 weeks before:
- Pick up your wedding bands at Love Story® Jeweler, while you're there, select a gift for the groom and choose gifts for your attendants.
- Mail your invitations.
- Have final dress and headpiece fitting.
- Have portrait taken.
- Plan your bridesmaids' party.
- Write thank you notes as you receive gifts.
- Send announcements to newspapers.
2 weeks before:
- Get marriage license with fiancè.
- Confirm honeymoon reservations.
- Submit request lists to photographer, videographer and musicians.
- Address announcements to mail on wedding day.
- Arrange to move belongings to new home.
- Make a household checklist for home furnishings that are still needed.
- Change name on Social Security, drivers' license, credit cards and bank accounts.
1 week before:
- Pack; get going-away outfit ready.
- Purchase travelers checks; inquire about ATMs near your honeymoon site.
- Give final guest count to caterer.
- Give and/or attend bridesmaid's party/luncheon.
- Check final details with wedding professionals.
- Keep up with gift acknowledgments.
- Remind attendants of rehearsal dinner details.
- Remember to relax and enjoy friends and relatives: They are there to see you!
- Don't be a stressed-out bride! Check out our last minute fixes for things that go wrong on your wedding day!